Tuesday 22 February 2011

More why's and how's...

Well it has to be said a big thanks to a couple of new colleagues I have worked with recently as to why I am doing this. That is to a Justin Blackwell (I am sure Justin will have something somewhere to link) and a Simon Lovely

With the introduction to Skills Matter and heading off to only a couple of free talks, this started to get my taste for really understanding things and bettering my skills, thought nothing of it really as it was only a little tingling.
Only been to 2 of them, that was

  • with Udi Dahan and a talk on CQRS, was bloody brilliant! really got me thinking about a few things, really interesting.
  • and the other was with Ayende Rahien with a kind of talk on how to go about making software that people want, the WOW factor!
Both of them superb! But also makes you realise the ton of crap that is out there!

Then talking to Simon and Justin more they introduced me to a lot of new blogs (well I say 'new' what I really mean is my first blogs and people to start following and read up about). 


Unbelievable I was in this cloud of denial for so long, the stuff I started to learn from a few of these posts... well... that tingle became a bit more than a tingle, now my passion started to grow more for learning and picking up new things, what people were up to out there and what was about and around the corner.
I still can't find something these guys don't know about yet, will do one day ;-) lol

They then mentioned to me DDD9 was coming up, well of course me sitting there in my cloud "What the hell does that mean?". Of course found out off them what it was and I think I actually managed to register before them, in the end I had to remind them to apply ;-) (Check me out!) Well went along and absolutely thoroughly enjoyed what I saw and the guys delivering the talks. (Probably will try and talk about this day in another post if I remember between my angry rants)

Unbelievably I think I have learnt more in the last several months than in the last 10 or so years career in  software development. I noticed with these guys they seemed to know hell of a lot about all sorts of fields of programming and there I am, well I know C++, I know .NET C# (I thought I did at least) I know databases and to layer stuff nicely so code is grouped nicely, all the kind of OO around it all to make it lovely and maintainable. (well it was a bit more than that I hope...).

OMG when I started to have words thrown at me like:

  • ORM's (I actually started doing my own ORM as I thought it would be an awesome idea, but I didn't know that it was an ORM I was actually creating), what a nugget...!
  • DI, IOC, 
  • Document DB's, 
  • Automapper, 
  • Linq, 
  • CQRS, 
  • patterns(which I used without realising they were patterns already), 
  • I am sure there is more, but can't think of any at the moment
then all the names of software that can handle all this stuff, my brain pretty much exploded and I was blocked with all this information overload. I was then curious on how the hell these guys knew it, done it, learned about it, etc..

I found out... well I think I have... could be different for everyone, following blogs, posts, trying a couple of things out, and now to actually to write down what I think, will hopefully imprint it into my brain more.

Inspired and a hunger for knowledge is an understatement, I want to write about so much stuff, so I can get my understanding across to who ever may want to look at it. Knowing deep down I am learning hardcore style. Maybe someone else will learn off me, now that would be awesome feedback!
Maybe I will get the balls and start posting on Stack Overflow but one thing at a time hey ;-)

Actually I have already learned from my first blog, maybe only a small thing but its the fact now I remember who that guy was who wrote that article about something, Jeff Atwood

Well thanks for reading again... who ever is out there
Rants incoming...

4 comments:

  1. So, why are you angry? :)

    (psst, it's me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the mention! Glad that I managed to impart something coherent from the mess inside my head.

    Looking forward to hearing some of the rants about bad code you've seen and how things could be done better.

    Learning this stuff is important, putting it into practice far more so. Don't be afraid to dig your heels in, in the face of dictats from Big Ball of Mud style developers, and pass on to your peers what you have learned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Webxorcist wait and see following posts ;-)

    and thx for the first comments. Think I will probably be learning punctuation too hopefully when I start doing more blogs, I am so rubbish at it, and probably English and grammar for that matter too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But if you would speak Welsh, no one wil notice :)

    ReplyDelete