Sunday 27 January 2013

Fedora 17 and 18 headphone socket fix

The Problem...

My headphones produce no sound from jack socket when using Fedora 17 and also Fedora 18. The sounds card I have is:

  • 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
  • 02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5000 Series]

I found the above be executing the "lspci" command, you can use "lspci | grep Audio" and that should find similar to the above.


The Solution...

I got my solution from here.
All I did was to create the file /etc/modprobe.d/dist-alsa.conf and add the following lines:

  • options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m6-amic
  • options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
Ok I found an issue when I tried the above setting of setting the model to dell-m6-amic, my microphone stopped working, I then found a little information on this thread that stated that was for the analog mic, so I changed the setting to dell-m6-dmic which is for a digital mic.

How to know which model to choose this link is very useful! This has some info too but pretty much the same.

Then reboot, potentially you don't need to reboot and there is a command to restart the sound system, I am not sure on this, so reboot it was for me :-)

Hope this helps someone else out too :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment